Do you suffer from Heartburn?
If you answered yes, then you are not alone!
Heartburn is usually a burning sensation that rises from the stomach or lower chest towards the throat. It is commonly caused by the rising of the contents of the stomach (acid) up into the food pipe (oesophagus). Heartburn can be extremely uncomfortable, sometimes even painful and can have a major impact on the quality of life of its sufferers.
Ever noticed your heartburn is worse after a night out? Tucking into a slice of pizza and pint of beer might make for a good time, but chances are you may suffer for it the following day. That’s because common triggers for heartburn include the consumption of fatty foods, alcohol, coffee and chocolate.
Making some dietary and lifestyle changes can help to support the digestive system and manage your heartburn symptoms such as:
- Limit the intake of fatty foods, spicy foods, coffee, alcohol and chocolate.
- Avoid over-eating; instead opting for smaller and more frequent meals, which places less pressure on the digestive system.
- Being overweight can put added pressure on the stomach causing the stomach acids to be pushed up into the oesophagus. Manage your weight with exercise and a healthy eating plan.
- Avoid lying down after eating as being in a horizontal position can cause acid to rise from the stomach and move into the oesophagus. Elevating the head, chest and back whilst lying down can help prevent heartburn symptoms.
- Avoid smoking, as it may aggravate heartburn.
You might be able to grit your teeth and learn to live with the discomfort of heartburn. But if you don’t treat it, you could end up with serious long-term side effects. Heartburn can be managed through the implementation of the dietary and lifestyle strategies discussed above and by taking some key supportive supplements.
Meadowsweet, Chamomile or Liquorice are traditional herbal medicines which may relieve the symptoms of heartburn, acid reflux and indigestion and any or all are good ingredients to have in a remedy to soothe heartburn. Once the fire has been cooled, we recommend taking steps to minimize the frequency of attacks by using a therapeutic formula designed to manage the problem, soothe the symptoms and repair the damage, the staff at Go Vita will be more than happy to assist you in finding the most appropriate remedy and offer lifestyle advice.