Top Tips to relieve Fluid Retention
If you regularly feel bloated and swollen, suffer from puffiness in the hands, ankles, feet and abdomen or suffer bouts of unexplained weight gain, you could be suffering from the very common problem of fluid retention.
Try Go Vita’s top tips to help relieve your symptoms:
- Drink plenty of water – yes that’s right the more hydrated your body the less fluid it retains!
- Reduce your salt (sodium) intake – get into the habit of reading labels
- Exercise regularly to help pump fluids back into the circulatory system
- Snack on bananas – they are rich in potassium which helps eliminate fluid
- Avoid or reduce dehydrating drinks such as caffeine and alcohol
- If you are overweight take proactive steps to lose weight
- Take a herbal diuretic formula to gently help the body remove excess fluid. Herbs such as phyllanthus (stone breaker) and dandelion are both diuretic herbs that can reduce swelling by stimulating the kidney and liver function. Traditionally the celery herb has been used as an effective diuretic to stimulate the kidneys and facilitate the production of urine and increase urine output hence removing excess fluid.
- Increase vitamin B6 intake as this may help relieve fluid retention
- If puffy ankles are ultra annoying dip your feet in a tub of iced water
Fluid retention can be caused by many factors including hot weather, a high salt intake, certain medications and premenstrual or pregnancy hormones. Check with your doctor to make sure there is no underlying medical condition that is causing your fluid retention.